Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Answering a call on Craigslist for a Gay male model.

Hi. I posted an ad before but have found that I was not clear enough with what I am looking for. I am currently a student in my junior year at the School of Visual Arts. I a working on a project concerning the difficulties I faced with being gay early on in my life. I deal with issues of sexuality, sensuality and the loneliness and desperation of not being accepted by the world we live in and even my immediate family.

The types of models that I am looking for are young males who are willing to pose in a project depicting the aforementioned ideas. In terms of age, I am working on a project about youth and so I would like to keep my age maximum at 27-30 depending on how old/young you look. The models may be asked to pose nude or fully/partially clothed depending on the idea behind the photograph.

Eventually you should expect to see the photographs displayed in a fine art space in a public forum such as a gallery or even museum. In addition the portfolio of work will be shown to several graduate schools ranging from Yale to Harvard and everything inbetween (in the ivy league fine arts divisions).

I will certainly show you what my work looks like before we start shooting. There is no compensation for the modeling, as I am just a college student on a tight budget, I can print you a free 8x10 photo in retribution and furthermore I ask that you send me a photo of yourself along with your email.

Thank You. I hope to hear from you soon.

I am not gay, but I recently saw the movie Brokeback Mountain and can imagine what it must be like to be a gay man in this cold cold world. Once again I am not gay, but I think your project sounds interesting and would be willing to help. I hope that you could make use for me, a non gay man, in your shoot. I could probably pretend to be gay, which I assure you I am not, but I could probably pretend to be because I went to school for theatre several years ago, well back in the 70's, times where different then if you were gay, not that I am, or anything, so I assure you I don’t know firsthand. I am just saying that some of the guys I studied with were probably gay, and were secretive about it, but I mean I am not gay so I never had to be secretive about it. I would be willing to help you with your project as long as no one confused me as being gay, or thought I was gay in the resulting images.

Barry Portugal.

p.s. I am willing to pose nude with another man.

The resulting images are intended to end up in a fine art space along with an essay, which depicts the images as portraying the difficulties of being gay in modern day society. If you are interested please tell me your age, send a photo of yourself and what area you live in.

Uhm, it seems you missed my point. I am not gay. I don’t want to be portrayed as gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. I don’t want people to think I am gay or assume I am gay because I am straight. I have no problem helping you out with your project though. I would even be willing to "pose" and I stress the word "pose," as in "acting" or "pretending" to be gay with another man. I would rather not tell you much about where I live or send pictures because if by some way this email was intercepted, someone could misconstrue this conversation as gay erotica.

Barry Portugal.



No comments: